Wednesday, May 11, 2016

All Things...

Many of us Christians probably have a favorite verse in the Bible.  We have chosen it because it has some sort of special meaning to us.  (Stop for a moment and think about yours).  Mine is Colossians 1:17: "He is before ALL THINGS, and in Him ALL THINGS hold together."



There are a couple ways to consider this verse...  In the immediate context (the verses immediately preceding & following) it has to do with God's sovereignty over His creation.  Literally, God is holding this world together.  He spoke it into existence, and He is still involved with His creation.  However, there is also a deep, spiritual truth in this passage: when we look at this verse personally, God is holding our individual lives together.  One condition: we have to put Him BEFORE everything.

Jesus verified this truth in Matthew 6:33: "But SEEK FIRST His kingdom and His righteousness, and ALL these THINGS (the needs of life) will be given to you as well."

Hold that thought for a few moments...

Our son died on Wednesday, December 9th.  In an instant, Jaret's earthly life was over in a tragic accident.  And much of what followed was the most lonely time of my life.  What's worse: I was being criticized by other people for not reaching out and doing more.  (I honestly didn't know it worked that way - I thought people would reach out to find me, but that wasn't necessarily the case).  On that December night, I had to identify my son - and I was all alone in that hospital room (Kristi had not yet arrived from work).  I remember on that night that nobody prayed for me - again, I had to be the rock for my family and pray for us...and I didn't even know what to say.  I put Jaret's service together.  I had to keep Kristi strong.  I had to keep an eye on the kids.  And all the while...I was falling apart.  There is only so much strength one has, and I knew mine was spent.  So I masked it and pretended to be strong...because I suppose that's what I do...

But I had finally reached a point where I didn't know if I could keep doing this.  Physically I got very sick.  Emotionally I was hanging by a thread.  And spiritually...I remember looking up to God one day and pointing a finger of anger at Him and asking: "You don't give a sh*t, do you?"  (If that offends you, my apologies - but it's where I was.  I was isolated, hurting and being criticized - I guess that's we sometimes do in those moments).

So back to the "all things" idea...  I wondered: "Is God REALLY before all of this??"  And "Is He really going to hold this together??"  I felt like God was the puppeteer and I was the puppet, being held onto by the final string, and that string had just snapped.  My life was in a free-fall...  I could only wonder when rock-bottom was going to be found.  I saw myself as damaged goods - and Satan's darts were squarely hitting me, his bullseye.

But something has to happen in those desperate times...  It's a choice that the "prodigal son" had to make.  It's what I call the Luke 15:17 moment of "coming to your senses."  I had to come to mine.

And I did...

Suddenly one night I just got up off the couch and decided to go for a walk.  It was February, and even in Florida it can get cold.  But I needed to get up - go - do something.  It's as if God was communicating to me that things are going to have to change.  Not a band-aid fix, but all-out surgery.  The sitting around and moping and feeling sorry for myself had to stop.  And God reminded me that night as I was out walking: "Mike, I am still before all of this...and I'm still holding things together.  Just trust me...  You do your part, and when the time is right, I'll do mine."  

And He did...

There is another very powerful "all things" verse in scripture.  Romans 8:28: "And we know that in ALL THINGS God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."

All things...  Even when your son dies.  Even when you feel abandoned and isolated.  Even when you don't know what to do next or how this is supposed to work.  Even when you're scared that this will break you.  All things...



I decided on that cold February night to hand all of this over to God.  I had nowhere else to go with this tragedy.

And now??  I look back over the last few months of my life, and I'm almost ashamed of how I felt about God...what I said to Him...wondering if He even cared.  I've been more disgusted with myself than anything.

But there's something we have to remember:  

Part of the "all things" He offers us is GRACE.  It's not just a familiar song we sing of how amazing it is...  It's THE BEST of what God has to offer us!!  And I'm thankful He has given that to me.  I don't deserve anything good from His hands, but God is working everything out for good in my life.  My son's death was not good - but God's love & grace is and always will be good.  It's His purpose in the midst of everything that shook my life apart.  I have been deeply humbled and broken in spirit through all of this.  He is before all of this...  He's holding things together...  He is working it out for good...  He is blessing my life and ministry in a way I never saw coming...

He hasn't given up on me...

He hasn't given up on you...

So I ask YOU: What do you need to trust Him with?  What pain do you need to hand over to Him?  What hurt are you still carrying that you have to let Him take care of?  

I have some simple advice: just get up...and let His arms embrace you.  This world has nothing to offer us.  His grace is more than sufficient...

Whatever your "all things" are - He's got it under control.  Trust me...I know.
  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment